Thursday 23 June 2011

Time to pray and make some money, too

GUWAHATI: It is again time for people from across the world to flock to the historic Kamakhya Temple on the Nilachal Hills too attend the holy Ambubachi Mela that began on Tuesday. Most come to the temple for fulfilling their religious commitments, though some visit for other purposes as well. 
Anand Mandal of West Bengal's Dhupguri is one who has reached the temple to earn a few extra bucks during the festival. Mandal, a dwarf, covered a five-hour journey from his native village to come to the temple and make money sporting Lord Shiva attire. He would also perform Shiva dances and entertain his audience.

Mandal is an actor in a rural theatre group in West Bengal every year and visits the temple during the festival to earn some money and pray for his family during Ambubachi.

"Back in Dhupguri I have to sit idle when there is no theatre. But, every year I take this opportunity to collect my extra income from the Ambubachi Mela. This holy fair welcomes people from across the globe and it's my best chance to show my talent in front of a huge audience and earn some money too," said Mandal.

Mandal expressed his desire to work in an Assamese film too and hoped that his acting might attract the state's film fraternity who also gather at the temple this time to offer their prayers during the festival.

"Poor people like me have limitations. Even though I can perform well on stage, I am still collecting money from such small shows in the fair. Many say it's begging but I am not asking anyone to pay me forcefully. They pay me when they are happy with my performance," said Mandal.

There is an ailing father back at the home of this 35-year-old dwarf. This attempt to collect money during the fair is also a compulsion for carrying on with the treatment of Mandal's father.

"I am earning some two to three hundred rupees every day and I will stay here for a week. I wish that I can take home a handsome amount to carry on with the treatment of my father," said Mandal and left immediately as he saw a huge crowd coming to the temple.
 Source http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment