Sunday 1 January 2012

Support for at-home seniors appreciated

By Pauline Buck, Vancouver Sun
Re: Keeping seniors at home saves system money, experts say, Dec. 29
I applaud the article by Tara Carman and must add my kudos to the Fraser Health programs that support at-home seniors and their caregivers.
In addition to saving the system money, at-home care provides families with peace of mind and a sense of continuity that prevents or delays the emotional wrench that must occur while packing up a family member for the move into long-term care.
I am my husband's caregiver. For the past 18 months I (and he) have experienced the tremendous care and support Fraser Health home support and long-term care provides families.
My husband is 80 and suffers from dementia, a condition that was diagnosed over two years ago. His decline has been rapid and reached the point where I could no longer leave him alone at home while I went to work.
Thanks to my company's agreement to a flexible working arrangement, and Fraser Health's seniors' programs, we have been able to maintain some semblance of our normal life. Last January, I started working two days a week from home and driving two days a week into the office. With the help of a case manager we enrolled Bill in the adult day program at Maplewood Seniors Centre in Abbotsford. He attends twice a week and loves it. Those have been the days I went into the office.
Two other days a week, community health workers came to care for Bill while I work from home. Most of the time we were assisted by the same person, which enabled Bill to establish an easygoing relationship and left me completely free to do my work.
When I met someone new at the door, I was always delighted with the ease with which they settled in for their shift and helped care for Bill.
I have just retired from my job, and don't need the in-the-home care at the moment. But Bill will continue to attend the adult day program. He would miss his friends there, and, as his caregiver, I will need those two days to myself.
Thank you Fraser Health for helping me and our family make the transition from a healthy husband, dad and grandpa to one who now has special needs.
Pauline Buck Abbotsford
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment