Wednesday 18 May 2011

Local Women Share 3 Money-Making Hobbies

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- From the bad economy to gas prices, it seems we're constantly reminded how tough it is to survive financially. Many on the First Coast have taken on multiple jobs just to make ends meet. So we spoke to some local women who have managed to make their hobbies profitable, having fun while bringing home extra cash.

"To make money doing something that's fun for me, that I can do in my spare time, it's a bonus," said Angie Neal, a local Speaker Coordinator and full-time mom who makes accessories in her down time.

"I started making jewelry about 7 years ago when I had my daughter," Angie said. "People started saying 'hey make me one of those and I really like that.'" Angie eventually got online with Etsy, a website full of other artists, designers, and collectors selling handmade and vintage goods.

"I sold some things there and then just through word of mouth," she said. "A lot of business comes from Facebook and friends and family."

It's business Angie welcomes in a tough economy. "It's extra money aside from my regular job and it helps out," Angie added. "I love it and it's exciting when other people like it too. That they would want to spend their hard earned money on something I made, it's kind of special."

Regan Landau, who works full-time at a local law office, is a makeup connoisseur who gets her product fix by selling makeup by Mark.

"Mark is part of the Avon company. It's sold in the same way, through independent reps," Regan said.

She makes the sales by passing out catalogues, planning makeup parties, and through her website; but the reason she started it all is a little more personal.

"I'm kind of a makeup junkie myself and I wanted to get the discount!" Regan said. "Then some of my friends would see my products in my purse and they'd ask 'where did you get that?'"

Soon she started taking in some extra cash; and with high gas prices, Regan said the money comes in handy. "In a good couple of weeks, I could probably fill up my tank a couple of times," she said.

Switching gears, we spoke to Carol Streeter, a marketing sales rep by day and athletic instructor at a local YMCA by night.

"I've always loved exercise," she said. "I got introduced to cycling and fell in love with it so I became an instructor. In a month, I might make $200 extra, which is a nice little supplement."

Covering cycling and pilates, Carol teaches about 3 classes per week, and has been doing so for the past 12 years.

"It's great doing something that I love," Carol said. "It's been 12 years and I'm not tired of it. I plan on doing this forever."

Source http://www.firstcoastnews.com/
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment