Sunday 8 May 2011

Nebraska man's downtown sanctuary offers a home to more than 100 birds

FREMONT, Neb. — The birds that make up Michael Rosendahl's flock at the Good Life Parrot Rescue and Bird Sanctuary are as diverse as the stories behind them.
Rosendahl opened the not-for-profit rescue facility at 116 N. Main St. in October, and currently offers a home to more than 100 birds representing around 20 different species.
Birds became a passion for the Columbus-area native more than 20 years ago while living in California.
"One day I went to a bird meeting with some friends and I watched a Macaw poop all over this lady's back," he said. "I thought, 'These people are crazy. Why would you pay that kind of money for an animal that's going to poop on you?' Then I saw one in the paper for $300 so I went to look at it."
When he got to the seller's house he found a "really mean" Military Macaw in a ball of chicken wire on the gas- and oil-covered garage floor, and the buyer asked $600 for it. Rosendahl told him he would either pay $300 for the bird or alert the authorities of the animal's abused condition.
That was his first rescue, "and then it became an addiction," Rosendahl said.
The experience was like an epiphany.
"All of a sudden I knew why I was put on this earth, I knew why I was here," he said.
Today he travels as far as Denver and Kansas City to rescue birds, often buying them to get them out of harmful situations.
"In the bird profession we don't like to call it a rescue when you paid for a bird," he said, "but when I see something suffering and in a bad situation, I don't care what it takes."
Sometimes he follows advertisements for birds for sale, and other times he is notified by authorities.
"When you go to some of these houses, you see these birds in horrible condition," he said.
"What people don't understand is these birds live 80 to 100 years, especially the big ones, and they bond with humans like none other," he explained. "I'm a single unmarried guy, never had any kids, and I've raised baby birds from the time they've hatched out of the egg until I've sold them, and it's like a piece of you.
"People buy a cute little cuddly bird for Christmas and then they put it in a cage and just forget about it," he said.
He has recovered birds checked by a veterinarian and then cares for them until he is able to find a permanent home. He also breeds birds. The money he makes from sales helps buy food for the remaining birds.
"My goal isn't to sell birds, it's to sell birds to feed these birds," he said. "We don't get much in donations because we haven't been out there much."
Hy-Vee donates unsold produce. Other donations can be monetary or supplies and are always welcome.
Manager Wanda Savoi said it's a 24-hour-a-day effort taking care of the birds.
"It's just the two of us doing all the work, we haven't had very many people volunteer. Just cleaning cages and feeding them - I'm here almost 15 hours a day sometimes," she said.
Many of the birds are in sad shape when they arrive. He has a pair of cockatoos who were bare accept for head feathers when he found them.
Another mail cockatoo he actually found in a Dumpster while vacationing in Virginia.
"I saw a cage sticking out of a Dumpster, and being who I am I couldn't stop myself from going to see if the cage was any good, and he was in it," Rosendahl said. "I called the cops and I called ASPCA and I called the local animal shelter. About $900 later and after canceling my flight twice, he came home with me. He had no feathers whatsoever, and he is the most lovable bird now."
Sometimes all the birds need is a little understanding, he said, pointing to a particular case when he lived in California.
"These two birds sat in cages across the room from each other," he said. "One was male and one was female, the lady had no idea. They were just frustrated beyond belief. I got them home, put them together, and there were babies within a month."
One client couldn't figure out why her bird was pulling its feathers out and chewing its breast. He discovered that a Teddy bear on the mantle of the fireplace was scaring the bird. Once the bear was removed the bird was fine.
"I like to socialize my birds, especially my babies, so when they go out to their new homes they're not shocked by something," he said.
Information from: Fremont Tribune, http://www.fremontneb.com
Source http://www.dailyjournal.net/
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment