Wednesday 13 July 2011

Make money stretch

Ajith Gopinath was clueless when he first landed in London. This was his first time away from home and the only other Indian face in the vicinity was carrying a giant sack of rice. These were fresh off the boat Indian students who knew little about life. But as life would have it, the next three years “was truly going to be an education,” says Ajith, recalling his college days.
Life as a student abroad is never easy, but when you come from a country where the exchange rates are never leaning on your side, a student’s problems go beyond books and dorms. Here are some tips from those who have been there on how to save, when cash is low and expenses high.
Adishree Parasnis, 23, studied International Business & Emerging Markets from Edinburgh and says, “Eating out was expensive. I had to learn how to survive on noodles.” While Raashi Bhatia, 22, who will be leaving this September to pursue her Masters from University of York seems fully prepared. “I hear Indian masalas are very expensive and they don’t make pressure cookers there. So I am taking all this in bulk to last me the whole year,” says Raashi.
Ajith, 27, did his Masters in New Media and Communication at Thames Valley University, London and admits that he was a heavy spender. “I worked many jobs from handing out leaflets at a Chinese takeout, cashier and then supervisor. As I started making more money, I started spending on shopping and clubbing. Two vices I would tell all students to stay away from,” advises Ajith.
But Adishree did not stay away from these vices. She just shopped and ate smart. “Student discounts are available on shopping, in restaurants and even in public transport. I just flashed my student ID and made the most of it,” Adishree said.
Shayoni Sarkar, 23 says, “I never walked anywhere in India, but in Cardiff, since public transport is not cheap, I taught myself to walk everywhere and later I bought a bicycle which was a life saver.”
It is usually easy to find jobs and most people like to help out students. But if you have no time for work, then the best way to save money is to eat at home, walk to wherever you can and take advantage of student discounts. And if you love to shop and eat more than your budget allows, then just learn to rein in your temptations.
These are the days to grow up and be an adult. As Ajith learnt from his three years in London, “I was so alone and no one was there to guide me. I had never worked before in my life. The first two years were the depression era, and then third year taught me to work hard and look for work at the right places. Those three years were an education beyond books and the classroom. I grew up in the true sense,” he recalls.
Source  http://www.asianage.com
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment