Friday 18 November 2011

Keep Christmas dollars here at home

by By Mondee Tilley
As Christmas approaches, I know many of you pride yourself on getting your shopping done early, but before you get all of the presents under the tree, I would like to ask our readers to think out of the box this year, literally, and keep their money right here in our community, if not in our community, at least in America.
I got an email the other day that really drove this point home. It was one of the most commonsense things I’ve read in a long time. I have always been a proponent of shopping locally and I think if we could get all of the people who race down to the mall in Winston-Salem or who head out to big box stores to shop on Main Street and at local businesses, we could keep all of that money here at home.
Here are a few ideas on how to keep your money local this Christmas:
• Just about everyone, with the exception of a few bald guys, could use a gift certificate to your local salon or barber. Or, what about a gift certificate for a massage, or manicures and pedicures. I got a gift certificate from a good friend last year for a mani-pedi and not only did I love that special treat, but she went with me and we had some quality girl time. And when thinking about mani-pedis, don’t just think about the ladies, men need pampering, too. (I’m sure some of the guys already know about the massage chairs).
• Here’s a gift I could really use, a gym membership. I always love joining Reeves Community Center every winter so I can stay active in the winter months. I know for a fact that Reeves has reasonable rates, and I’m sure ProHealth and the Armfield Civic Center in Pilot Mountain do as well. There’s nothing better than taking a wintertime swim and both facilities have pools. Oh, and you may want to ask if that’s what they want, because they may think you are trying to tell them something.
• This past summer, I got my car detailed twice and let me tell you, there is no better treat than the feeling that you get when you get in a clean car that you haven’t labored to clean for hours. It has been my long-standing belief that a car just drives better when it’s clean. There are a number of local people who have gone into this business and most of them are willing to come to your work or home to clean the car, so you are not without a ride for any length of time.
• Instead of spending tons of money buying a brand new flat screen to replace a TV that isn’t even broken, how about spending that cash to have someone cut your grass for the summer, seal your driveway, have your driveway plowed when it snows or spend that money on games at the local golf courses.
• Everyone has to eat, and no one loves free food more than me, so how about giving that special someone a gift certificate to a locally-owned restaurant, I’m not talking about the national chains, but the real hometown joints that serve up some of the best food in town.
• I only know two people in my life who don’t own cars, so how about giving a gift certificate for an oil change.
• Here’s one of my favorite ideas for Christmas and I don’t know anyone who couldn’t use it, I know I could. How about hiring a local cleaning lady or service to clean house? A number of years ago, I owned a housecleaning service and there was nothing better than seeing the face of the homeowner walking in to their freshly cleaned house. You could tell that it took the weight of the world off of them.
• If giving the gift of service to someone isn’t what you had in mind, then how about buying crafts from local artisans. The proceeds from the Uptown Gallery go to local artists and go back into a program to keep arts alive for mentally challenged adults and teens. Also, there is an art exhibit on the third floor of the Mount Airy Museum of Regional History. Everything was made locally and is for sale.
• If it’s entertainment you’re seeking, there are plenty of free or inexpensive things to do this time of year. There’s the Candlelight Christmas in Rockford on Dec. 1 and 2 at the Rockford Methodist Church at 7:30 p.m. that is free of charge. There is the Christmas by Lamplight on Dec. 6 and 8 at Horne Creek Historical Living Farm in Pinnacle that is $10 for adults and $6 for children. There will be a tree lighting ceremony at city hall in Mount Airy on Dec. 1, I’m not sure of the time yet, but that is free and a personal favorite of mine. The Mount Airy Christmas parade will be on Nov. 26 at 9 a.m. and that’s free as well, of course. There are too many events to list here, so stay tuned to The Mount Airy News as Christmas events are published in our calendar and there will be preview stories on the events as well.
• Let’s not forget about all of the local wineries and bakeries. These folks work hard all year to make a quality product and there’s nothing like a good glass of wine to go with a slice of homemade apple pie.
• That leads me to yet another gift idea, how about buying someone the gift of a home-delivered newspaper? The rates are reasonable and if you get a year’s subscription, you will receive $1,000 worth of grocery coupons if you subscribe before Nov. 22. Not to mention that you can clip your favorite pictures and stories to share, and our paper is also 100-percent recyclable, which is also good for the environment.
There are just a few ideas of how to keep your dollars here in the community because what they say is true, what goes around, comes around. If we all spend our money in this community, then more business owners and employees thrive and I think it’s that kind of thinking that will get America back on track again.
Mondee Tilley is a staff reporter with The Mount Airy News. She promises this was not a shameless attempt at gift-getting for herself this year. She can be reached at mtilley@mtairynews.com or at 719-1930.
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment