Tuesday 27 December 2011

Working Christmas

By Joel C. Thompson
Several town businesses stayed open on Christmas, proving to be a draw for residents and a good opportunity to make money for workers
While some Newtown business employees would rather have been home with family and friends than working on Christmas, others did not seem to mind sacrificing the holiday to serve the public, as well as make money.
The two cashiers at the Citgo gas station and store on South Main Street would have preferred to enjoy Christmas with their families, but said they resolved to “grin and bear it” as they manned the registers while the business was open from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday.
“I’d rather be home with my family, but I really don’t mind working,” Becky Carafiello said. "It is what it is."
Her co-worker, Angel Crossley, had stronger feelings.
“I don’t think anyone should work on Christmas Day," Crossley said. "It’s supposed to be a time to be with family. That’s the way it used to be.”
The several workers at the Mobil Mart gasoline and convenience store on Church Hill Road said they did not mind working during the holiday because their business operates 24 hours per day and never closes.
Justin Carparo, running the register and dispensing muffins and doughnuts at Dunkin Donuts, on Queen Street, said he chose to work on Christmas.
“I have no problem working,” Carparo said. "I begged my boss to work today. I received a fuel oil bill that came in rather high. I need the money."
With the town’s three grocery stores and its major restaurants, such as the Blue Colony Diner and the Pizza Palace, closed, residents flocked to Bagel Delight, on Church Hill Road. They ate bagels or omelets, while they rubbed elbows and exchanged holiday greetings with neighbors and friends.
“We’re open every day of the year, including the holidays,” Eunice Laverty, owner of the breakfast and lunch business, said. “We bake bagels daily. We love our customers. We’re here to serve them.”
Gabe Blais, one of Laverty’s part-time employees, said, “I don’t mind working here on Christmas or any other holiday. My family lives up north, and I can use the money.”
Blais, employed as an electrician during the week, has worked at Bagel Delight on weekends and holidays for four years.
The town’s two pharmacies, CVS on Queen Street and Walgreens on South Main Street, were both open along with the town’s several Asian restaurants, including Toro, on Church Hill Road, Dynasty on Queen Street and Sweet Mango on South Main Street.
“I don’t mind working on Christmas and other holidays as long as people appreciate what I do,” said Niel Vyas, owner of Newtown Convenience and Deli, on Church Hill Road at Queen Street. “We work hard all year round. I have family and children. I sacrifice something to serve the town and my customers.”
Vyas manned the register as a perpetual line of customers buying newspapers, Pepto-bismol, lottery tickets, grocery items and cigars streamed through his store.
Vyas said one of his customers presented him with a $20 bill as a gift, thanking him for having his store open on the holiday.
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment