Saturday 28 January 2012

Care home residents react to the closure of Bonner House in Sleaford...

Following the decision to close Bonner House by May this year, target reporter Claire Farrow visited the home to see how its residents have reacted to the news...
WHEN you first walk into Bonner House you would be forgiven for thinking it was a social gathering where people of a similar age meet up - but that is where you are wrong.
To the residents and visitors, it is so much more than that.
It is a home and a place of safety where they know all their needs will be met with staff who go out of their way to make the residents as comfortable and happy as possible.
At the home I was welcomed by residents who were keen to share their views and were all desperate to save such an important part of their community.
However, Lincolnshire County Council is saying that people using the home are being reassured that a range of other high-quality, local options are now available.
As it works towards modernising and personalising care provision in Lincolnshire, the authority's executive decided last July that the homes would close, but only when it was satisfied that suitable alternative provision was available.
Councillor Graham Marsh, executive member for adult social care, said: "With a rapidly growing elderly population, providing the best possible care for our residents is an absolute priority for the council.
"By closing three outdated and expensive homes and replacing them with access to an improved menu of care options, we hope residents can see how we're meeting this priority."
The council also claims it has found more job vacancies in similar fields than the number of staff that could be made redundant from the closure.
When the time came for me to leave Bonner House I walked through the dining room where Marjorie Passfield was eating her lunch along with other residents.
Due to her stroke Marjorie struggles to swallow and began choking.
Thankfully, the staff were on hand and she was ok, but what if she was at home on her own?
Marjorie Passfield, 77
Marjorie joined Bonner House four weeks ago for respite care.
She suffered a stroke which left her unable to speak and communicates through a machine.
She said: "The home means a lot to me as I know it is somewhere safe for me to rest. I will miss the helpful staff so much and believe that the closure is helping to make room for the proposed Tesco store."
Di Cardell, 88
Di has been recovering from a broken hip which would have been slow progress if she were at home.
She said: "I think it is absolutely appalling that the home is to close as the care staff provide extreme care that is beyond anything I have ever experienced before.
"I have no help available from my family so would have to rely on neighbours for the help so will have to wait and see what happens and what is offered to me when Bonner House closes."
Mary Rodgers, 87
Mary is in respite care after cracking her knee cap twice in the last year.
She said: "I am very independent but I know when I need a place like this. The care is second to none and I don't see why, when my generation has helped to fight the war and paid our dues, that we can't get a little something in return."
"Also, I would like to know exactly where these job vacancies are that the council speaks of, because realistically, I can't see there being that many."
Enriqueta King
Enriqueta is the daughter of Mary Rodgers who is currently in respite care.
She said: "There has in no way been enough communication as to what my mum can do next.
"I have tried phoning for answers but have had no response and am getting angrier by the day.
"This place offers me a lot of peace of mind to know my mum is in a safe environment where she has everything she needs, even down to good company and a social life.
"I feel incredibly let down by our authorities and feel bad for the generation who helped to keep Britain's independence being cast aside - it is a disgrace."
Walter Cheffings, 79
Walter is being cared for as he suffers from severe arthritis which has left his feet paralysed.
He said: "We have been left on the shelf as I believe the elderly are just an embarrassment to the council and deemed a waste of money.
"We have done our duty and now we are no longer needed. Without us, councillors wouldn't be where they are today, making silly decisions.
"First close care homes, what next? Fill the swimming pool with goldfish? "It's a disgrace and I can't help but wonder what these decision makers will do when they get old and can no longer get about on their own."
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment