Wednesday 25 January 2012

Claudia's Corner: Making your home beautiful and functional

By
When a small room has a doorway, be careful in choosing both scale and placement of your furniture. Large pieces crammed into small spaces does not work either functionally or visually. And of course, you don’t want a door to interfere with seating.

Raquel and Gregory Hernandez of Greenwood Lake are first-time homeowners who want to have a beautiful home but didn't know how to achieve that without spending a ton of money.
Raquel says, "The process for me began when I had this beautiful but small space that I didn't know how to maximize. With an open-concept living room and dining room area, I wanted to make the dining room furniture an extension from the living room. When guests come over, I had the vision that they could sit in comfortable chairs, and still see the plasma TV from the dining room table."
She found my business online and after a few email exchanges we set up a consultation. The Castillo home is a cute cottage that was updated by the previous owners. They just needed furniture for the space.
Watch out for swinging doors
One thing I pointed out to them is that the front door of the house opens into the dining room, where the dining table would be. This would interfere with seating once chairs are placed around the table. The table size was important in this particular space in order for the door to open without hitting someone. I gave them the maximum table size allowing room for chairs, seating and door opening.
A big problem is scale and proportion when making furniture selection. Oversized furniture crammed into small spaces does not work functionally or visually which in turn would make the space awkward and uncomfortable. I see this a lot when visiting clients. Size does matter when it comes to space planning.
"I didn't realize those huge details about using small-scale furniture to fill my little room and make it feel huge," says Raquel. "Claudia also sent me weekly ideas through social media and email. I was constantly inspired by the design images she would send me because it gave me examples of what my dream space had the potential to look like."
When I was looking at photos online, I came across one in particular that I just knew I had to send Raquel. It was her taste, her style, her colors. She loved it!
She went to IKEA, with her inspiration photo, and texted me photographs of furniture asking my opinion. She created the look for less with a bench, white wooden table, and some great chairs with pillows. She also purchased a lantern from Home Depot that really finished the look and feel.
"We couldn't be happier with this dining space!" says Raquel.
It really is that simple. Find your inspiration photo and start building from there. It doesn't have to be exactly as it appears in the photo but there can be similar elements to create the look you want.
Claudia Jacobs is a decorator, professional stager and owner of Claudia Jacobs Designs in Goshen. Visit www.claudiajacobsdesigns.com or call 294-8993. Send questions and photos to info@claudiajacobsdesigns.com.
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment