Thursday 5 May 2011

Some thoughts on the Elections #1

I am Singaporean. Born and raised. I have been working out of Singapore for over 6 years now. But I never stopped being Singaporean or stopped regarding Singapore as home. I may have my grouses and complaints (as do many of us) about our country but hey, I hold an IC, I did my NS (no offence to our ladies), it’s my entitlement.

I used to be passionate about politics in Singapore but for various reasons, that spark died. I believed then that the majority of Singaporeans did not want change and put it down to youthful naiveté on my part. After all, who am I to impose on you my views on the type of government you should have?

This year, when elections came around, even though I finally get the chance to vote, I started off on the same note as well (i.e. it’s only the vocal minority at play, the silent majority do not want change, the outcome is going to be the same again, why bother? ). Following up on election news online these past few days, I started to feel a little excited that perhaps the time for change had indeed come. But I was quickly brought down to earth by a few friends, reminding me of my all-too-familiar refrain.
I realised something. The real problem facing Singapore is not the silent majority who do not want change, but rather the silent majority like me who do want change but can’t be bothered to do anything about it. That is true apathy, and it cannot and must not be allowed to decide this election. Too much is at stake. Now, for the first time in a long time, each of us has the power to be counted, to be heard. I believe it will be people like us who will ultimately decide this election.

So come 7 May, I will be flying back to Singapore to reclaim my home. I know, I hope, I am not and will not be the only one. I ask all Singaporeans, whether residing in or outside Singapore, to step up and grasp this real and best chance we’ve had in a long while. Come results time, I don’t care if my said friends tell me “I told you so”. At least I’ll know I tried, they didn’t and they’ll live to regret for the next 5 years that they didn’t take control of their future when they had the chance to.
Source http://www.temasekreview.com/
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment