Sunday 26 June 2011

Home owner still waiting for compensation from builder

BUILDER Rob Purvis was full of promises after a wall came tumbling down. He promised this, and he promised that, but he didn't deliver on his promises.
Rob was paid £7,000 to construct a patio and wall for customers Jim and Helen Shevills.
But the wall collapsed and Rob repeatedly agreed to pay £3,000 compensation.
The promise was first made in April and, at the time of writing, he has still not coughed up.
Jim, of Low Fell, Gateshead, said the wall simply fell down.
He told me: “The mortar fell out and the wall collapsed shortly after it was built. Rob verbally agreed compensation but has never come up with the money.
“He always says he needs another few weeks and, when those few weeks have passed, he says he still needs more time.
“I know I will probably not see the money now but I gave him every opportunity to pay.”
Jim had asked Rob’s business Hometrade to do the work on his property after getting a card through the door.
Some of the work, including the wall, was contracted out to other tradesmen. Surveyors for Jim claimed the wall fell down because of poor cement content in the concrete mixture.
Surveyors also claimed there were no “weep holes” which allow water to escape.
Another report claimed the paving stones for the patio collapsed because of poor quality materials.
I first spoke to Rob way back in April when he confirmed he had agreed to pay compensation to Jim. He said: “It’s our fault. The job just didn’t go to plan and I take full responsibility for it.
“I have been down a few times to discuss an agreement, he said three grand, we shook on it, and that was it.
“It will take three or four weeks to get the money because we’re not trading any more. I have no qualms about refunding the money but he is just going to have to wait. Tell him he’s going to get the money, and I guarantee he’s going to get the money, there’s no doubt about it. Even if I didn’t have it, I would find it, that’s the kind of person I am.
“I don’t want to rip anybody off, I just wouldn’t do it, and at the end of the day it was my mistake and I will make sure it is put right.”
1.2
Source http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment