Monday 4 July 2011

SEO...Yourself? Optimizing your Personal Brand

When was the last time you googled yourself? For many of us, it was not that long ago. But when was the last time you checked your SEO value?

Your what? Personal SEO value? Yes!

SEO, aka search engine optimization, has more value than just boosting your website search ranking. It can also boost your personal brand. In my writing I speak a lot about social media and related topics. However, I also frequently reference Smith College. I am an alumnae and a very proud Smithie. Recently when writing I referenced my alma mater. In looking for an image to use with the post I did a quick search for "social media smith college". I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that the first two lines of the search results turned up three photos of me and one graphic I created.

Through my writing, linking and social media efforts I have associated myself with Smith College and social media. This is an honor I will gladly accept. Not to mention in image searches the results are usually flooded with generic clip art and stock photos, it is great to see your own personal branding infiltrating the sea of brand X images.

Social Business

The social business model is becoming the leading trend in business development. Companies are realizing that social media is more than just chatting on Twitter or playing Scrabble on Facebook. It is a way to directly communicate with your consumer base. It is a way to improve your reputation, build your authority, create a new avenue for customer service, and of course sell. Often what happens, especially for smaller businesses, is that one person becomes the voice (and face) of the brand. This is why managing your own online reputation is an important component to managing your online business reputation. When you become the face of a brand then you are the person that is looked to as the authority. You are the person that is building the trust. You are the one people look to for answers to their questions. The more of an authority you become the more of a resource you become. This will extend beyond your brand. You can actually establish yourself as an authority in your area through personal branding. Do you think people only talk to Mari Smith or Chris Brogan about their services? Of course not. They are authorities on business social media and people look to them for advice and opinions on all avenues of social media, not just ones related to their business.
Source http://technorati.com/
Buzz This

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!
    Building a strong online presence for our business requires playing both offense and defense.We can prevent "damage-control" to stop negative comments.First impressions count a lot in cyberspace.SEO is one of the finest ways to generate targeted Web traffic and develop the reputation of the online business.Thank you very much for your ideas to post comments.

    ReplyDelete