Wednesday 6 July 2011

Sundstrom now feels at home on the big circuits

By Mark Plummer
 
LINUS Sundstrom has been converted by life at the Showground.
The rising Swedish star used to be a man who loved racing on the smaller tracks in speedway. But that’s all changed since a big-money winter move to Panthers from Rye House.
The 20 year-old, who is tipped for great things on the shale, has already proved himself a dab hand at getting around the big Alwalton arena.
And he is convinced he made the right decision to remain loyal to the city club during the sport’s infamous winter of discontent.
Sundstrom said: “I have to admit I used to prefer the small tracks until I came to Peterborough but that has changed now. Riding here has turned my views around a little bit.
“I came here to be better on the big tracks and it seems to have worked so far for me.
“I was quite scared about it at first because I rode here in the Premier League Fours and that did not go well at all, but it is a really, really nice track when you get dialled in and I’m very pleased I chose to join Peterborough.”
Sundstrom has been a model of consistency in the early part of his Panthers career and has struck up a particularly lethal top order partnership with Panthers captain Nicki Pedersen.
That duo slammed in 5-1s in all three of their outings together in the 49-44 victory over Poole on Monday.
Sundstrom added: “To get a 5-1 in every race myself and Nicki are together is good for us and also good for the team.
“We like each other and get on well and that probably shows in the races.
“I especially like him when he wins the toss and we get to choose the best gates for heat one!
“My bikes are running really well so that makes my job easier. I just have to put it on the right part of the track. I still feel I should be able to go well on the small tracks as well though.”
Sundstrom certainly needs to score plenty of points after recently being left with a big hole in his pocket.
He faced a £2,500 bill to buy new equipment after an engine disappeared while in transit from his tuner.
Sundstrom added: “It was not good at all for my wallet.
“I’ve got the paperwork that says it was a 35kg package when it left him but by the time it got to the airport over here it was only 2kg.
“It looks like only the lid got here. The rest of the box and the engine has disappeared.
“My tuner helped me out a bit with the money but I’m still about £2,500 out of pocket and it takes a while to make that money back.”
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment