Saturday 24 September 2011

MOBO Awards host Jason Derulo on kilts and driving Scots women mad

By John Dingwall
 JASON Derulo could send Scots women crazy by wearing a kilt when he presents this year’s MOBO Awards in Scotland.
Jason, who is behind hits such as Don’t Wanna Go Home and In My Head, is co-hosting the ceremony at Glasgow’s SECC on October 5 with singer and Strictly Come Dancing judge Alesha Dixon.
The million-selling star, who admits he loves women almost as much as he loves making music, said: “If it looks good, I’ll wear it – I just might wear the kilt when I get to Scotland if there is not a breeze.
“As far as the women go, if I find the right one I am absolutely ready to settle down.
“I am not necessarily looking but, hey, I’m always here if the girls are looking for me.
“What I look for in a woman is quite subtle. I am old-fashioned in some ways – I want a woman to be selfless and think about others before she thinks of herself.
“That really turns me on — a woman who is polite and says please and thank you. That sort of thing gives her the edge.
“I see beautiful women all the time. But nothing gets to me more than a genuine and sweet woman.
“That’s what I’m afraid of — that women will read what I say I am looking for and will try to be that. But the truth always comes out.”
As for the MOBO Awards, the 21-year-old said: “I’ve never hosted anything but I’m sure it will be great. I have some knowledge of the awards.
“I am doing my research so that I know all the history and everything about them by the time I get to Scotland because it is such an important event.”
The US star is up for Best International Act but Jason insists that he has no idea whether he will be lucky enough to win on the night – especially as the pop scene is currently dominated by female artists.
“It is down to votes from the public, so make sure to vote for me,” he said.
“I’m not one of these Americans that knows nothing about the UK.
“I don’t know everything but I have heard quite a lot and I know there are some great artists like Jessie J who are going to be there.
“The reason so many women are doing well in pop music these days is because women are smarter than men. Men need to catch up.”
Born in Miami to Haitian parents, Jason began writing songs when he was just eight years old and puts his success down to a work ethic that has stayed with him since his childhood.
His parents’ support helped him achieve his dream after his mother sent him to performing arts school.
“I am one of three children, the youngest, so I am kind of spoiled. I got off lightly compared to my brother and sister,” he said.
“I was disciplined a little less than they were. I had always wanted to perform in art schools and study classical music.
“I read music, Shakespeare and musical theatre. I was the arts kid. It popped out of nowhere. When I became eight, I started exploring songwriting.
“It started when I had a crush on this girl named Amy in my class at school. I wanted to give her something but I didn’t know what to get her. I didn’t have any money so I wrote her a song called Crush On You.”
Eventually Jason’s talents and dreams became obvious to those close to him.
He said: “It took a while for my parents to recognise a desire in me and a special work ethic.
“I wanted it so bad and it was not just a hobby. My mum recognised that and put me in performing arts school because she didn’t know what else to do.”
Born Jason Joel Desrouleaux, he changed his name to Derulo to make it easier to say.
He said: “It’s still pronounced Derulo. It’s French.
“My parents were both born in Haiti. My grandfather was ambassador to Jamaica so my father grew up in Jamaica.
“But my mum and my dad both went to college in Miami and that is where they met.
“Miami is still my home. The best thing about my success is not having to look at the price of things.
“I can literally buy food and just live comfortably.
“That’s the biggest factor of having money. It can’t make you happy but it can make you live comfortably.
“We were never poor but I did look at prices.”
Jason will be keeping it in the family when he arrives in Scotland for the MOBO Awards ceremony.
“My sister is a nurse and my brother works with me in production,” he said.
“It is great having him with me and I have my cousin on the road with me as my road manager.”
Speaking of the sacrifices he made growing up, he said: “My family watched me miss out on a lot, so it’s been really awesome for them to watch. And I know they are super happy because they have followed me right from the beginning.
“I didn’t live the average childhood because of the amount of work I was putting in.
“It depends on what you want in life and how far you want to go. To be world-class takes a lot because a lot of people want the same things as you.
“So how do you become the world’s best? How do you do that?
“I lived my profession the entire time. Living it and breathing it from my childhood.
“Every waking moment was spent on me getting better and thinking how I could give myself an edge.
“I still wake up with that mentality of what I can do today to get me that bit closer to the picture of perfection in my mind.
“To say I am ambitious is an understatement,” he added.
“I want to continue on the same path of work ethic because I think that is what it takes to continue moving forward.”
Jason will release his new album Future History on October 10, having sold 17 million singles and one million copies of his self-titled debut album.
The single It Girl, which is out this week, has a video co-starring Gossip Girl actress Tika Sumpter.
Jason said: “I’m through the roof I’m so excited. I recorded the album in LA and I had a list of people I wanted to work with and I did so.
“I was on tour for a long time so to get back in the studio was a great feeling. I am close to all of the tracks on there because they are all from my experiences.
“They have been chosen from hundreds so every single song on this record means something special to me.
“The songs are always about my life experiences. That is the easiest way to write them and I think the most efficient and specific, rather than trying to make it up.”
He added: “On this album I just wanted to be me. I was 19 before and now I’m 21 and I’ve really kind of found myself. So you can hear a whole new person.
“The beauty of art is that you can never reach perfect but if you have a picture of perfection in your mind you can continue to get better.
“I have studied all kinds of art. Theatre was a big part of my life and I was a teacher for a summer.
“I am looking forward to getting involved in films but Future History is the most important thing now.
“Maybe after it runs its course I’ll dive into a movie or two.”
He added: “But I can’t sacrifice women. That’s one sacrifice I have never been willing to make.”
Jason Derulo will co-host the 16th annual MOBO Awards, in association with Lebara Mobile, on October 5 at Glasgow’s SECC.
Watch it live on BBC Three at 10pm, or the highlights on Friday, October 7 on BBC One at 11.45pm.
For further information on the awards ceremony, visit www.mobo.com
Buzz This

No comments:

Post a Comment